Saturday, May 14, 2011

Why I Don’t Draw Much in a Sketchbook

Artists are supposed to keep sketchbooks. I do. But mine is filled with more words than pictures. I discovered a long time ago that I like to work with shapes and lines that flow into and out of shapes. Plus, I really like to work standing up and with some degree of size, so that I have to use big arm movements to fashion an image. Using paint to make those big shapes is a better fit for me.
This spring I have made a number of quick drawings/paintings that represent a kind of brain-drain. The paintings are spontaneous with no preconceived imagery. They are mixed media on paper, generally about 26” x 20”.
Study 2
©2011 Kathryn Dettwiller, Study #2, Charcoal, Tempera, Acrylic Medium  
26 x 20”

2 comments:

Nanci Hersh said...

The scale really works for this, it certainly how outgrown any sketch book.I can feel the movement and I love your rich blacks. Beautiful Kathryn.

Kathryn said...

Thank you Nanci. I do like the big arm movements of standing and painting. That methodolgy is really hard to do if you use encaustic...in fact, it's impossible. This has been a nice change of pace for me.

Post a Comment